Uptown: espresso cup of Latino culture


As a Colombian who has been living in Miami for more than 20 years, I had different expectations of my nighttime outings during our Germany vacation. During our first try in Munich, my husband and I ventured to look for a club that apparently was close and ended up in Sausalito, the German version of the American chain restaurant Chili’s. Then in Berlin, we wanted to see the Munich – Liverpool Champions League game so we went to an Irish Pub but it was too packed to stay. During the last leg of our trip, in Leipzig, our host and friend took us to Uptown Coffee Bar where the notion that I definitely was not going to escape Reggaeton during my vacation really cemented.

You see although this music genre is very popular among young Latin American people, my husband and I were adolescents in the 80’s when Latino music was dominated by Salsa and Merengue and Reggaeton wasn’t even born yet. We listen to American and British Pop, Freestyle Music, 80’s Heavy Metal, and Rock en Español. The mental playlist of our trip started with 99 Luftbaloons followed by Rock Me Amadeus and here I was in the middle of Leipzig listening to a band playing the cover of one of my favorite songs Todo Se Transforma from the Uruguayan genius of Jorge Drexler and I loved it.



Expectations aside, the energy of this place is something I had not experience since my days as a student in Bogotá. A small cafe during the day no bigger than a living room transforms into a bar on Friday nights were the local Latin American students and young workers flirt in Spanish, English, German, or plain body language. It’s not mid-march in here but more like hot and humid mid-July: shoulder revealing blouses and crop tops for the girls, t-shirts for the guys, even a guy in a tank top playing the drums.

As we walk into a packed place and take off our coats the Peruvian owner Gregory greets us with free Malibu shots. The coconut rum helps you blend into this tropical ambiance where the band is playing a cover of Latinoamérica by Calle 13. Then the crowd sings with them Lamento Boliviano by Enanitos Verdes. When they are done, the DJ starts playing the most popular Reggeatons and the occasional Bachata, one after the other.

So here I am admiring the moves of a girl dancing Reggaeton next to me with every inch of her body: from the dark long hair which she throws on the face of unsuspecting guys, to her belly button that trembles on her crop top, to her sneaker covered feet, and guessing which guy is going to hit on her. Here I am giggling with my friend’s wife about the attractiveness of the long hair guys while all sorts of Spanish accents drop into my ears and I can tell who is Ecuadorian, which guy is Argentinian and which girl Mexican.  My discerning eye also spots several German dancers who come to this place to experience Latin American culture or came with their Latino friends.

Its Friday night, we have been here since 10 or 11, I guess, its 3 in the morning and we realize we have a toddler at home who is going to wake up early so we ask for the check. We have been drinking beer all night, as we did throughout our trip, and the check is not high. Another nice surprise Uptown Coffee Bar had in store for us. As for their coffee? I have no idea, they have good reviews, it will have to wait until our next trip to Leipzig.

Publicado en Leipglo.com

Comentarios

Entradas populares